GIS Engineer (part-time)
Populus is a mission-driven company that is shaping the future of cities. Our platform empowers cities to manage their streets and curbs — with access to mobility data from shared scooters, cars, and delivery services — to deliver a safer, more sustainable transportation future. Today, we serve over 100 cities around the world on 4 continents, as the trusted digital platform to manage the future of mobility.
As a GIS Engineer, you’ll help bring geospatial data into our system, answer questions about that data, and write tools to automate those processes.
- Analyzing spatial data without our platform, and with the use of commonly utilized mapping software.
- Creating "shapefiles" to merge topographical data with external data (such as parking transactions or scooter vehicle locations).
- Obtaining, cleaning, and processing Census files to integrate onto the Populus platform.
- Developing mapping applications and tools.
- Performing data munging and cleaning to convert data into its desired form, such as parking regulations into new data standards rapidly being adopted by cities.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing data visualizations.
- Managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types.
- Scripting proficiency: you can write well-tested, repeatable Python scripts. If you have done this, but not in Python, we believe that you will be able to learn Python quickly!
- SQL proficiency: you can write spatial queries using PostgresQL with PostGIS and are comfortable changing configuration values stored in the production database.
- GIS analysis skills: you can transform and debug geospatial data in a variety of vector formats, within an open-source ecosystem
- Adaptability: you will often be handed problems that have more complications than anticipated, and are able to find creative solutions to these complications.
- Communication: You ask questions and communicate clearly about project status throughout your process, and have communicated with internal and external stakeholders alike
- You value diversity and equity, and you integrate inclusive behaviors into every aspect of your work
Populus is an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve. Populus prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Populus’ salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The ranges reflect the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for this position across all US locations; however, Populus has an office first philosophy and reserves the higher end of the range for employees that are based in the Bay Area and commuting to the office on a regular basis. Unless stated otherwise, Populus will prioritize hires who are able to work in the San Francisco office three days per week.
Within this range, individual pay is determined by location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education/training. Only in truly rare circumstances where a candidate has experience or expertise that far exceed the basic requirements for this position would Populus consider paying a base salary rate at the upper end of the range. Your contact at Populus can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation ranges reflect the base salary only and do not include the value of bonuses, stock options, or benefits.